Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Model Behaviour



The young and beautiful faces featured in the video "Marc's Models" shot by (the awesome) Chadwick Tyler for AnOther Magazine may now seem a bit like old news, especially in the fashion world where things (and people) go "in" and "out" of style before we can even decide what is in fact "in" or "out". But I promise you'll be as intrigued as I was by the lovely likes of the models chosen by Marc Jacobs for this year (I don't know exactly when this video is from, but a friend had sent it to me earlier this year, probably around the time of the Fall2010 shows?) in this little video which acts sort of like a silent character study for the often otherwise anonymous designer-clad boys and girls.




The site also offers an interesting word about Marc Jacobs' model choices throughout the years and how the young men and women lucky enough to grace Marc's catwalk are almost always the ones to become the "it" kids of the seasons to come. Also mentioned is the personality and individuality of the models featured in the 2:00 minute film and how it is precisely this that Jacobs looks for when making choices for his runway shows, saying "They wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear them" (also my own personal design philosophy), and even adding that each model only wears one look per show, a look that is tailored and styled for that model specifically.

I got to thinking about how rare it is to see models in motion, and I think that is why I love this video so much. Besides the catwalk (which most of us only see in photo form afterward) or perhaps highly styled and directed "fashion videos" or commercials, we never get the chance to see a model's movements, personalities, changing facial expressions. Not to mention, included are three of my favorite models as of late, other-worldly pale beauty Hanne Gaby Odiele and doll-faced pouty-mouthed newcomer Lindsey Wixson, and of course striking tomboy Freja Beha Erichsen.


Watch "Marc's Models" (I wish I could have embedded this video, but it didn't work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment