Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Kids on the Block.


The following post may seem like a simple shout out for friends, but I assure you that the following artists are three extremely talented young men whom I've had the great pleasure of knowing personally (some, very personally), and I have seen their (already) amazing artwork develop over the past couple years. Now, they've all graduated (two from Parsons, one from SVA) and I am so excited to see what they do next, and share with you some of the awesome work they've already done.

Matt Reuter
Matt is an illustrator/designer/"maker-of-things" with an eerie
capability to make even the cutest of forest creatures into something melancholy or slightly disturbing. What interests me most about the Parsons grad's work is his focus on nature and the oddities he creates in it. This strange filter which he puts his subjects through combined with somewhat childishly bright colors creates awesome ink drawings and watercolors which seem fit for a a more-than-slightly-trippy children's book. (I tend to enjoy the ink drawings in the "sketchbook" section of his website more than the colored works... but that's just me)

Lucas Sharp
Also a New School grad, Luc is a graphic designer/art director whose (pretty sweet) website offers an awesome portfolio of his typography design as well as a really neat video involving time lapse footage of budding plants and an ink tank (I remember hearing about it/seeing some of it while it was in the works). Being someone who is obsessed with fonts, (and I mean obs
essed, I was just talking the other day about how important font styles are in our everyday lives...for magazines, storefronts, websites, bookcovers, everything really...maybe I'll write a post about fonts...we'll see!) I love the fact that his site is pretty much all fonts, and the different examples of use he has for each one (wood cuttings, posters, etc.). Also, make sure to check out the blog he has co-created with fellow Parson's grads Zeke Shore and Andrew Mahon (take a look at the post about the speech Zeke and Andrew gave at the Parsons commencement ceremony, it's pretty great!).

Sean Hudson
Having known the illustrator and SVA grad since 2007, I feel like I've definitely seen his work get better and seen him come into and perfect his current style. Sean's work often feels like a dream put onto paper, and his drawings (again, my favorite are the black and white ink pieces) depict slighty circus-worthy characters who look like they may have started off human, but took a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Although I'm partial to the black and white works, he has a great sense of color and the palettes he chooses for certain pieces, in my opinion make them unique. Also, he may not like me for saying so, but I have the pleasure of having in my possession some of Sean's more early/random artwork... including portraits of Woody Allen and Diane Keaton in a scene from Annie Hall, a picture of Cameron from Ferris Beuller done entirely in Christmas colors, and a black and white picture of a woman in a room with banana wallpaper from a homework assignment (which he insists is "terrible") which to this day is still hanging on the wall of my apartment and receives quite a fair share of compliments (so there).

"FRESH" designed by Matt Reuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment