Tuesday, June 15, 2010

(Insert catchy whistling here.)

I know some of you may be surprised to hear that until a few days ago, I couldn't seem to make up my mind about suddenly famous folk family Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I knew that I loved (l-o-v-e-d) the song "Home" (honestly, how could you not?) but wasn't sure how I felt about the rest of the music, particularly Edward's voice. Not to say that it was too strange for me or anything like that, many of my favorite singer's being those with a sort of unconventional style or voice (i.e. Jens Lekman, Ramona Cordova, El Perro del Mar), there was just something about it that was keeping me from listening to more.

HOWEVER, I then experienced the (incredible) first two installments (the second of which stars some impressive, yet very random famous faces) of the 12-part video series "SALVO!" created by the band using the songs from their album "Up From Below" as the score to the film. And needless to say to those of you who have seen it, my mind was blown. These guys are good. Real good. And I think it's cool to see a band which are (from what I hear) amazing and charismatic live performers, talented musicians, and most importantly artists in the sense that they are creating a distinct image and (through these videos) an entire little world for their music to exist in.

I'll leave you with this awesome live number they did for La Blogotheque (one of my favorite websites) which I stumbled upon the other night while looking for something to sing me to sleep. You'll love it. I promise.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's - A Take Away Show from La Blogotheque on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment