Tuesday, May 11, 2010

P.S. I love you


A few months back, I came across an interview (below) with NYC-born, Philly-based creative genius Steve Powers, leading me naturally to do a little more research on the graffiti-t
urned-studio artist. What I found was an extremely impressive resume that included everything from years of producing graffiti in NYC, to protest and arrest, and now working with a $260,000 grant from the city of Philadelphia.

Here's a little background...
In 1997 Powers began producing artwork in NYC, outsmarting the legal system under the name ESPO (Exterior Surface Painting Outreach) and beautifying abandoned, heavily vandalized storefronts in TriBeca, Fort Greene, Bed-stuy, and the South Bronx. He'd work in broad daylight, in street clothes, and simply telling anyone who questioned him, "I'm with Exterior Surface Painting Outreach, and I'm cleaning up this gate." By 1999, Powers estimated that he had painted nearly 70 gates (pretty impressive if you ask me). Then, when I thought he couldn't be more of a super-cool badass, I find out that he was arrested for vandalism charges... mysteriously jut after participating in a protest against Mayor Giuliani's attempt to shut down the controversial art exhibit "Sensations" at the Brooklyn Museum (the arrest was clearly political).

Anyways, the main reason for this post is to tell you about the beautiful, amazing project Powers has just completed, entitled "A Love Letter For You" in which the artist has teamed up with the city of Philadelphia to produce 50 murals focusing on the rewards and difficulties of love and relationships all along the elevated train route through (a rougher area of) West Philly. Basically, I think the murals speak for themselves. Here are some of my favorites... hope you enjoy!





A Love Letter For You from Megawords Magazine on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment