Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dance, Dance, Dance.

As a student and naturally, enthusiast of all things having to do with the world of fashion, I am constantly (and I mean constantly) reading up on what designers, editors, photographers, and brands are up to (I think it's important to be at least a little well-versed in the happenings of the industry which you want to enter), as well as viewing as many fashion editorials from as many different publications as I can get my hands on. (If you are as poor, however, as I, then FashionGoneRogue is a grrrreat site to get them all from). But as you can imagine, in fashion, as in any type of design, photography, illustration, or film, one begins to notice trends, and at times, the surprising amount of redundancy can be very overwhelming. I find this to be especially true for fashion editorials, where I have often thought, what could they possibly do next? There are only so many themes and locations one can use or create, and I personally believe that not enough emphasis is put on the clothes themselves, or at least, the look or feeling that the stylist/fashion editor is going for. So often it is overshadowed by beautiful shots of a model riding an elephant into the sunset or an unbelievably distracting half-naked male model in the background. Could this criticism stem from my love of minimalism, and my eternal belief that less is, in fact always, in (almost) all aspects of life, more? Perhaps. But what I have noticed lately is a definite turn towards a more artsy, yet focused type of fashion editorials, depicting a clearer point of view, and (in my opinion) creating much more interesting shots.A prime example is my new (and maybe first?) favorite fashion editor/stylist, Stevie Dance. I don't know much about Ms. Dance, except that she seems quite young, but already has an extremely impressive queue of editorials to her name, working as the fashion editor for Australian magazine Russh. Besides having a fresh and daring sense of style, she an impeccable eye for what looks right. Her work never looks forced and she usually uses only one model for each shoot, keeping it less complicated, and I think much more interesting. The following are some of my favorite examples of her work.


Daul Kim for Russh November 2009.


Mathilde Frachon for Russh November 2009.


Seven New Faces from NEXT for Russh January 2010.
Julia Nobis for Russh January 2010.
*Image of Stevie from garance dore. All other photos from models.com and steviedance. And yes, the title of this is a reference to one of my favorite little swedish darlings, Lykke Li.

No comments:

Post a Comment