Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chant Darling


So let me start off by saying that about a month or so before I started this blog, I was introduced to the lovely, sunny, folk-pop tunes of New Zealand singer-songwriter James Milne, aka Lawrence Arabia, and instantly fell in love. It was just what I needed to bring me out of a musical rut (you know when you just haven't found any new music you love and despite trying to set your iTunes to "shuffle" to sort of "mix things up" a bit, but it just doesn't seem to work?). So, after listening to him almost non-stop for at least a month, even declaring him my "new favorite artist", I end up sharing a subway car with him on the F train all the way from Manhattan to Park Slope yesterday. I seriously considered saying hello, but chickened out at the last minute... Anyways, that's what sparked this post and the point is if you are also looking for some sweet, strange, summer songs, I highly suggest giving Lawrence Arabia a listen. Also, what hooked me (as usual) were his awesome music videos for two of his singles "Apple Pie Bed" and "Beautiful Young Crew". I'm usually pretty bad at describing music, but good at comparing it to other music, but this time I don't really know how to explain Mr. Arabia's style. I would definitely suggest giving his record "Chant Darling" if not for his cool, smooth voice, then for his off-kilter lyrics and catchy melodies.

*Favorite songs? "Apple Pie Bed" and "Like a Fool".



Lawrence Arabia - The Beautiful Young Crew from Lawrence Arabia on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment