Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Sweetest Thing...

I'm sure by now we are all familiar with a little craigslist phenomenon called "missed connections" (I'd be lying if I said that I never made slight, insignificant eye contact with a mysterious young stranger on the R train and rushed home to see if he "felt something" too). And until now, I'm sure most of us have found it easier to laugh at and dismiss the (usually) harmless attempts at love or at the least, a one night stand, because well, it's silly. Right? Maybe. But stumbling upon the blog missedconnectionsny, I instantly felt more of a, well, connection to the swell of sweet messages sent out to strangers each day in New York. What clever Brooklyn blogger Sophie has done is taken her favorites of these posts and illustrated them so beautifully and poetically that they somehow become more human, and, now documented in little works of art, will perhaps have more of a lasting presence. It really is one of the cutest, most clever things I have seen in a while, not to mention that I love Sophie's style of drawing.
Here's some of her work:






2 comments:

  1. i used to intern at a documentary web series that did a video about her. here, check it out, it's awesome. while you're at it, watch all the videos. ellis can vouch for how awesome they are.
    http://watch.workbookproject.com/video/3405936-radar-missed-connections

    -JORDAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, thanks so much! That video was great, she is so, so sweet and cool! I haven't watched the rest of the videos yet, but I really liked that one... Also, thanks for reading. : )

    ReplyDelete