Friday, August 20, 2010

Not your grandmother's needlepoint.

As per usual, I came across this lovely work a while back, wrote a note to myself to post about it right away, but here we are, a month later and I am just telling you about her now. Oh well! I learned about Ms. Joetta Maue while working at a great, great, little boutique in Park Slope called Urban Alchemist, where some of her beautiful needle points (I believe) are currently being sold. Although my personal taste for home decoration tends to be a little more streamlined and modern, I fell instantly in love with the giant "Be Strong" banner, and found myself dreaming about where I would hang the beautiful thing in my own apartment. The pieces at the store were only ones with text, but on her website I found that she also embroiders portraits and scenes of people, which I found very impressive and equally awesome. I'm not normally into feminine things, but the second-hand, vintage-y feel of the one-of-a-kind lace and linen on which she does her work, make Joetta's pieces too heartwarming and interesting to resist.

1 comment:

  1. i totally adore that "be strong" too. amazing. thanks for posting her portrait stuff though, that's rad!

    dani-d.com

    ReplyDelete